Thursday, September 15, 2011

REP Beauty: Eye Shadows (Review)


Hello everyone! Today I have a review post that I'm very excited about. Back in February I came across this new brand REP Beauty. They are a Canadian company out of Edmonton, Alberta that offers an amazing range of high quality products right in my (previous) own backyard. I entered a Valentine's day contest where you had to share your worst Valentine's Day experience (please don't make me repeat it again haha) and I won - proves how bad my story was! Included in my prize pack were three eyeshadows, two frost and one matte, that I will be reviewing today.

I will admit I don't wear eyeshadow on a daily basis. I usually just throw on some black eyeliner and top it off with black mascara. Simple, and to the point. That being said I've been venturing into eyeshadow lately and forcing myself to wear it more regularly and these shadows have really stood out in my collection.


The first photo in the post is of J'Taime and the second photo is the same in an opened compact. I initially (in the catelogue photo) thought this shade would be much more pink-toned but it leans much more towards a coppery, reddish-pink with gold shimmer. REP Beauty offers its shadows in frost or matte formulations, this one falling into the frost category. 


The next shade I received is Frost Bite - a true white with intense shimmer. I find myself using this one a lot to highlight the inner corner of my eyes and sometimes as an all-over wash of shimmer. This is also part of the frost collection. 


The last shadow shade I received is part of the Matte collection and is in a much bigger pot compared to the frost shades - although the gram weight is the same at 3 grams. This is a true matte shadow with great colour pay off that doesn't look chalky at all. The shade I got is Smoke Signal and is an ashy grey. I expected it to be hard to blend and tricky to work with like a lot of other matte shadows I own but I was pleasantly surprised to find it easy to blend and easy to wear (no creasing or fading). 


As you can see from the swatches the pigmentation in these shadows is great - frost & matte alike. I applied these to my hand with my finger. From left to right is Smoke Signal (Matte), Frost Bite (Frost and J'Taime (Frost). The shimmer in the frost shades is very intense. Usually I find frost shades to fade, only leaving the shimmer behind but these shadows stay true throughout the day (I still suggest using an eye primer or concealer as a base for any shadow). 


Here is a look I created using all three shadows for date I had last night. I blended them out really well as I'm still not completely comfortable with a lot of eyeshadow. I also added a coat of LashBlast mascara by Cover Girl in Blackest Black. 


Overall, these shadows give great colour pay-off, great staying power and a really pretty finish, both from the Matte and Frost formulations. The packaging is classic, glossy black with a flip top lid (Frost) and glossy black with a screw-off lid (Matte). The price is also very reasonable for the quality and quantity at $12.75 for both formulations. REP Beauty offers a huge range of colours and I hope to try many more of them. As of right now, REP Beauty is available online for purchase. Please check them out and support a great Canadian company with really great beauty products. Stay tuned for more REP Beauty product reviews. 


Don't forget to follow them on Twitter and subscribe to their blog while you are visiting the site!

Disclosure: I won these products in a giveaway. All opinions are my own and I did not receive any compensation. 

No comments: