Monday, October 25, 2010

What Every Girl Needs To Know About SKIN CARE!

Okay, so there are a few tried and tested skin care tips that I believe everyone should know! Unless you are like me and spend most of your time reading beauty magazines, beauty blogs, beauty websites etc. you may not have heard of all of these, but they are absolutely essential to me now that I know them! Here I will pass them on to you and hope they help your routine!


1) Go From Thin To Thick - this may sound funny but I'm talking about the consistency of the product! When you are applying skin care products you should always go from the most liquid to the most creamy consistencies. Doing so will ensure penetration of each product you use. An example (using my routine) is to start with your serums. In my case, I use my LUSH Tea Tree Water toner, then ISOMERS Copper-P Peptide serum which repairs skin and makes it stronger. I then use my acne serum, NEUTROGENA 3-in-1 Hydrating treatment. This is a salicylic acid product that is also very liquidy. Next, I go to my sunscreen which is much thicker than the other products. I use AVEENO Ultra-Calm SPF 30 lotion. Make sure to always go thinnest to thickest!

2) Wear Sunscreen EVERYDAY! - I know this has probably been drilled into your head every place you turn but it really is essential. Sun damage is the number one cause of aging and also causes skin cancer. The earlier you get in the habit, the better off you will be so if you are young START NOW and if you are older START NOW! It isn't too late to start, its always better to wear sunscreen, even on cloudy days! (I like AVEENO Ultra-Calm for my Oily Skin)

3) Exfoliate - You have to get the dead skin cells off your face if you want a radiant complexion. Exfoliating is essential for every skin type, dry to oily. It provides different benefits for each type but the overall idea is you NEED help to get all those skin cells off. As you age, skin cells slough off more slowly so helping them is essential! It also helps by not having the dead skin cells on your skin that can lead to clogged pores and breakouts. You can use an everyday GENTLE polish or a weekly intensive treatment. (I use Freeman Raspberry Facial Scrub daily and The Body Shop Vitamin C Microdermabrasion weekly!)

4) Use Toner - Toner may seem like a product that you don't need but it plays a huge role in keeping your skin healthy. Toner helps to restore the optimal pH level of your skin so it doesn't produce excess oil and is in a healthy balance. Toner also helps to remove any bit of residue that you might not have removed with cleansing (and it even removes excess cleanser) for a truly clean skin! (I use Marcelle Tonifying Lotion)

5) Oily Skin Needs Moisture Too! - just because your skin is oily, doesn't mean it can't be dehydrated. An imbalance of moisture can cause a lot of different skin concerns such as increased oil production, more prominent lines and wrinkles and of course dry, flakey skin. Many people with oily skin don't realize that if you strip the skins natural moisture barrier it actually makes it more susceptible to breakouts by producing more oil to make up for its loss. Therefore, you can't over dry your skin if you are prone to breakouts, it won't make it better. You have to use a moisturizer formulated for oily skin though so a gel, serum or very light lotion will work well! (Something with a sunscreen preferably!) 

So I hope these tips helped you all out! I live by them and they work very well for my skin! And always remember to keep up with your skin care routine, thats the only way it will be effective for you!

Good Luck with your skin, and check out my skin care GIVEAWAY!

No comments: